Skip to main content

Reply to "Southeastern and Eastern District Predictions"

Realizing that this forum is only the opinions from some really loyal fans and that opinions will not matter much probably by the 3rd week of the season (if that), but after watching Hickory’s scrimmage against Princess Anne and Hanover last weekend, “my opinion” would be that Hickory is better than most would give them credit for.

Bottom line… Hickory might be a Tier 2 program (I am only referring to can-o-corn’s comments not to single this person out but because it was the only thoughtful analysis to reference) but I will bet that neither Coach Lee/ Coach Wright/ Coach West or Coach Todd will treat or play Hickory as a Tier 2 program as Hickory will see the likes of Ali, Thompson, Johnsonbaugh, Stokes, and Flaherty etc on the hill every time they play one of their teams. Might I mention that no one gave Hickory any chance last year and I believe they ended up second in the district.

Hickory has 6 or 7 returning seniors as well as a couple of new ones. There are 2 or 3 returning starters (which is probably normal for a large program) and they have several players that play for a showcase organization that have seen some of the best pitching in the nation let alone the South Eastern district. Hickory may or may not have issues with winning this year (for reasons that have been mentioned but I will not discuss) but I don’t think experience is one of them.

As for the player (I have only seen one name mentioned) with talent that left the Hickory program after last season, from what I can tell his departure will not have an immediate effect on Hickory’s 2010 season if ever. Maybe next year or the year after when we are all discussing the SE district predictions again, but this year Hickory has more than enough talent to compensate for this player’s defection.

Just thought I would stir the pot again on this subject a week before the start of the season.