Skip to main content

Reply to "Southern showcases/combines"

SchollySearchn posted:

We live in Northern Virginia, my son is interested in schools located farther south. How does he get in front of them without having to go to each school’s own camp? Is it best to pinpoint the individual schools and then find out what showcases they plan to attend, or are there showcases where it’s generally known that he could get in front of “a bunch” of them eadult? 2020 has not narrowed down his list yet, and  realistically won’t be able to for a couple weeks yet due to end of school exams and baseball schedule. The NY Showball, both academic  and mega camps look to draw northeast, mid Atlantic, New England and just a smattering from elsewhere. I’ve not checked Headfirst, nor compared Showball’s Florida attendees (but adding a FL camp might break the bank. Not sure) 

thoughts?

Snowballs Florida showcase is pretty good.

But I am going to be very honest with you about playing in the southern region. If you look at rosters, you will find most players are regional. Here in Florida, besides reasonable instate tuition for state schools, coaches have an easier time awarding athletic scholarships  because of the Bright Futures Scholarships available from the Florida lottery. That means if the student  ( any) meets criteria they can have the tuition paid for  up to 100%. Miami recruits close to the university, and gives needs based endowments to most because many can't or never will afford the tuition as it is private, housing in South Florida is very, very expensive.

As for the many D2s in the Sunshine State league, except 2, are private with tuition exceding 50k a year. With only 9 scholarships available, most families are able to get need based grants, along with Bright Futures helps a lot to make school affordable. The most well known D2 program, University of Tampa recruits and gets D1 transfers. Because the state has very good JUCO programs, they feed into the state's D1 programs. 

So my point? It is that it has become harder and harder for out of state players to come to Florida as out of state tuition is very very costly. It makes more sense for a coach to recruit within state, perhaps those out of state within the region. But the player from the North, either has to be exceptional or folks able to afford 4 years for a degree that can be gotten anywhere.

I am assuming this would be the same for most state universities. 

IMO, it is a parents responsibility to guide the player in the right direction, which would be to attend school for the main purpose of obtaining a degree, baseball being the vehicle to which to help pay for part of it, not place the player and his family in debt that would take forever to recover.

No doubt the weather in the South is ideal. But my suggestion is to be realistic in your search. And keep in mind that the farther south that you go, the less programs you might find as the right fit. 

Last edited by TPM