Skip to main content

Reply to "Southern showcases/combines"

SchollySearchn posted:
TPM posted:
SchollySearchn posted:

There’s more states than just Florida in the South. 

I am just giving an example within my state. You seem to be just learning about the process, so I thought I would give you an idea how it works. You mentioned the Florida Showball camp. The one in October is mostly FL programs, more D2 than D1.  The one in november is mostly attended by northeast programs.

For the deep south, you might want to make sure that your son is familiar with those regions before any decisions are made.

Virginia, North Carolina have many great programs. I dont get why your son is not pursuing interest in your area.

Dont always think that the grass is greener somewhere else.

TPM, I’m curious... I don’t get why you care why my son might be pursuing schools outside of our state.

We are primarily focused on researching interesting academic schools right now, and then asking “Could he play ball there too?” If the answer is “yes!” Then that school is added to a master list. Regional or not. 

I see that you are from Florida, and yet your son attended Clemson. Was that difficult in some way that causes you to discourage others now?

Interestingly, Clemson is a school my son is looking at since we have family that live nearby and are also alumni. Can you talk to me about how your son got to Clemson from FL? 

Son was a draft consideration in FL, got a lot of offers from Florida schools as his tuition pre pay and Bright Futures brought his award amount to over 100%. However, son decided to go work under Kevin O'Sullivan ( now UF head coach and #1 program in country as well as last years CWS champs),  was the pitching coach at Clemson who recruited lots of high profile players from Florida, his home state. He was given almost a full scholarship to not go pro and not attend a Florida program. Thats how it works with top prospects.

Sully saw my son at WWBA in Jupiter a year before he committed there.

Understand that at that time 25% minimum and only 27 scholarships and 35 max roster didn't exist.

Why do I know about FL recruiting, you did read my bio, correct?  I am not making this stuff up. Do your homework, research ALL programs in FL, JUCO, D1, D2. And you can also do the same for states such as Georgia, South Carolina. These states tend to also recruit their state players, also because of lottery money which assists the coaches in their allowed budget. 

Son went back to finish his degree at Clemson 2 years ago. Good friends with all of the coaches, Monte Lee a great coach. Very small coaching world. Clemson actually has the ability to recruit top prospects all over the country, on their facilities alone. Just having relatives as alumni doesn't make a player attractive to them or any other program unless you are a direct relation and can receive alumni scholarship money. The player has to have the tools they require for their program.

You asked about  the Showball showcase. I gave you pretty good info. It would not have served your purpose, I suggested Ft Myers, PG.  I also think I gave a pretty good summary of how things work in recruiting. This isn't as simple as it seems. There are about 300 D1 programs and thousands in your sons grad year looking for opportunities. It's all about how the player can help the program WIN.

Cacogal gave you good advice, though I don't agree 100% about attending camps necessarily will get you a serious look at some programs. They are to make money for their volunteer assistants and added assistants salary. Make sure that it's a prospect camp not a general camp, when allowed. Get on a travel team that plays on college campuses. There are a lot of folks here whose sons got opportunities doing just that.

My final suggestion to you is to stop trying to challenge me, but spend your time more wisely worrying about the task before your son.

Any other questions you can send in a pm. Other than that, I think I have explained myself pretty well.

Last edited by TPM