Skip to main content

Reply to "Specialization"

Originally Posted by playball2011:

Can we get some numbers here. Velocity,types of P he has,  IP in HS and how that went. Also RHP or L?

I'd rather not break down his pitching particulars here. Good competitive RHP on a PG ranked team from Dallas. Threw about 30 V innings last year as freshman with limited ABs, about the same IP this past season with more steady ABs but still not a regular position starter. Should start in the field and bat top half lineup next year. Has pitched effectively both frosh and soph seasons used as starter in district games and also in tight relief plus post season both years. No post season ABs either year.

Hopefully I didn't give an impression in OP that he was some pitching phenom... That wasn't my intention and isn't the case. Just another kid looking to get better. He's had some encouragement about his potential to pitch in college, but nothing more than that at this point. The reason for my post is that what I'm seeing since HS is that he has begun to make teams and see PT disproportionally more as a P than as a position guy... So it sort of forces more of a pitcher only or "primary pitcher" type role, unless he passes up the opportunities with stronger teams to continue as a more balanced two-way guy on a somewhat lower level team. It's something that he and I discussed a lot heading into this summer. Just wanted to get other experiences and advice on this dynamic.

Originally Posted by BOF:

There is a lot more than just travel ball, what about his HS team? Trust me if he can hit he will be in the line up on a HS team. 

My advice is for him to figure out what he wants to do and do it. On his travel team he might only get a few innings, but in HS who knows? Too early to specialize IMO. 

Agree, he should get a chance to start in the field final two years of HS and working toward that. Agree completely that it's too early to specialize... Just don't know what to do about it exactly specific to travel ball.

Last edited by Soylent Green