Skip to main content

Reply to "Specific college's of interest - When will my 2016 have an idea"

I have seen a number of kids that were capable of playing college baseball at some level not play in college because they wanted to have a "regular" college experience.  Or they wanted to go to a big school and knew they wouldn't be able to play baseball there.  

I can only imagine that there are plenty of kids that go somewhere to play baseball and decide later that they are not happy with the experience and move on.  

In my son's 3 years of college baseball, I have seen many kids transfer or quit because they were not happy.  I have seen many kids go to JUCO with the hopes of attending a 4 year school in the future, only to have that not work out.  I have seen one case in which a kid went to Clemson just as a student, then decided he missed baseball and transferred to a JUCO to play again.  He is in his 2nd year there.

In terms of the OP, my son really didn't know where he wanted to go or what he wanted to do with his life post baseball.  He still doesn't really know, honestly.  For him, he went to a good D2 school that gave him pretty good money to play baseball and he is happy there.  He has said that if it weren't for baseball, he probably would not have picked this school, mostly since he didn't know anyone that went there.  But, he has developed himself a baseball family there.  The guys all get along very well and he is happy.

Not all kids know what they want to do "when they grow up".  Heck, some adults don't know.  I think those that do are blessed.  But, if your son visits some campuses, feels comfortable there, and is loved by the coaches, then maybe that could be his home.  Sometimes it just takes some trial and error - in terms of visiting campuses and talking to coaches.  He may not know where he wants to go off the top of his head.  But it may be a case of "I'll know it when I see it".