Skip to main content

Reply to "Specific college's of interest - When will my 2016 have an idea"

Midlo is right on when he discusses how HARD sports are in college.  I've posted similar things before but looking at this from someone who played college sports many kids don't know what they are getting into.  

I ran track in college.  While not baseball there is still a very similar commitment.  Our "official" season ran from October through the first weekend of June normally.  During the season our practice schedule was 3:00pm to 5:30pm.  This meant that you were on the track ready to go at 3:00pm, not just walking up.  If you needed to go to the trainer (which many kids do, tape jobs, extra stretching, etc) that was on your own time.  As the training room was filled prior to 3:00pm you needed to get there at 2:00pm or so to get out and get through the locker room in time to make it to practice at 3:00pm.  In addition weight lifting was on your own, for many that meant after practice.  Figure an hour or so in the weight room.  So practice really runs from 2:00pm to 6:30pm.  This did not include speciality training. I was a high jumper.  Our coach had an additional job as well so we practice from 6:00am to 7:30am 3 days a week.  Based on this practice was a 25 to 30 hour a week commitment  

This did not include meets or time to get to the meets.  Many schools do not have the budget to be flying teams around so you bus to most of the meets.  For local meets, we usually left the school around 7:00am and would return around 11pm.  So figure about 16 hours a week for meets.  

This put the total time commitment for athletics at about 40 hours.  At this point you have not even attended class.  Normally you carry about 12 (ncaa minimum) hours during your season and about 18 outside of your competitive season.  If you figure you spend 2 hours outside of class for every hour you spend in class your looking at 36 hours of academics in season and 54 hours out of season.  Which puts your total academic and athletic commitment at 75 or so hours in season.

Your schedule leaves little time for much outside of class.  Normally we had a 10pm curfew the two days before meets.  Which meant in bed by 10pm on Thursday and Friday, two of the biggest party nights of the college week.  In addition we did not return until late on meet days as well.  There is a lot of sacrificing of the social life to play college athletics.  

There are plenty of team rules that need to be followed as well, mostly no drinking, drugs, smoking, etc.  Kinda eliminates a lot of the college "fun".  I will say that most of the kids ignored no drinking and some ignored the no drugs rules.  For the most part you got away with it, and the coaches looked the other way, but if it lead to something else (campus disturbance, arrest, sealing crab legs, etc) then you would need to deal with the consequences of your actions. 

None of this is even dealing with the athletic performance issues.  You are there and they are paying for some of your education so you are expected to perform.  To you its "cool" to be a college athlete.  To the coaches its their job and a business.  If you don't perform you are out.  They will find someone to replace you.  BTW, no missing practices.  If your sick you better be in the doctors office.  If your injured you better be in the training room rehabbing, lifting weights, or in the pool doing some type of aerobic work.  

All the above said, I would not have changed my college experience for anything.  Sure I missed out on a lot of stuff when I was there but some of my teammates have become life long friends.  Even those I do not talk to regularly I still have a very close bond with.  We may go years without seeing each other but when we do catch up its like we never missed out.