Skip to main content

Reply to "Specific college's of interest - When will my 2016 have an idea"

Originally Posted by Midlo Dad:

If he is actually personally determined to play in college, then he should definitely have his top 3-5 schools in mind by the end of May, so that he can try to get them to come to his summer games to see him play.  Actually I prefer that players get this done by January, but while that's the optimum, there is some lattitude here.

I do think that all you can do as a parent is make the point that it's not enough to SAY he wants to play in college.  Deeds, not words, reveal the reality.  So either he does what the process requires of him, or a year from now, he doesn't get to bitch and moan if it doesn't go his way.  If he has the desire, he'll do what's required, all on his own.  If he doesn't do the work, then that means he didn't really want it after all, no matter what words he may speak.

I would add that a big problem we have is with players who keep playing travel ball etc., not really appreciating what the collegiate baseball experience is all about, for no reason other than it seemed to be what everyone else was doing or what other people expected of them.  A very high percentage of these guys get to college and end up getting cut or quitting.

Lot of eye opening things to consider. Appreciate the responses.

The above continues to stick out to me as a starting point.and has been mentioned by a few.

Fact is we are talking baseball and it has to be part of this thought process.

He certainly can play at this level and would be negligent on our part, to not have it as one of our priorities.

BUT

As midlo points out, we need to find out if he REALLY wants to continue playing baseball at the next level for the love of the game and a dream, and NOT because of expectations.

Honestly, not sure I,(Dad) have ever posed this question with a good observation of his answer.

Probably got the generic "sure I want to play".

Guess I need to ask it again.

One we get this answer, my thoughts to approach this going forward, will be specific questions (mentioned on posts above) instead of the general vanilla "Have any ideas where you want to go?" 

That all being said, I neglected to mention one reason for my OP is we, as many get numerous college camp invites.

However without an idea of his preference, we have only gone to one.

I think it is important to go to more this year and thus asked the question.

Obviously we want to go to the schools he may be interested in.

Think they are a great way to see the coaches and players up close.