Skip to main content

Reply to "Specific college's of interest - When will my 2016 have an idea"

Originally Posted by 2016Dad:
Originally Posted by Golfman25:

I'm glad I don't have that problem.  According to my kids facebook page he is already at Stanford. 

But I agree with James G.  First two questions are how far and what size?  Then you can go from there.

What's being considered when evaluating school size? I didn't attend college but I'm encouraging my son to.

I think there are three general sizes.  The large mega schools -- think Big 10 -- with 30,000+ kids.  These have the big time major ESPN "college" sports -- football, basket ball, etc.  This creates "events" -- Ohio State vs. Michigan.  There are a lot of educational and entertainment options.  But you're the small fish in big pond -- it's a cattle call.  If baseball is an option, then it shrinks that pond. 

Then there are the medium sized schools - 10,000-15,000 or so kids.  Think ISU, SIU, Northern Ill, etc.  Kind of a blend to between mega and small.  Still a lot of opportunities.

Finally, the small school -- 5000 kids.  Think Bradley or Benedictine.  They would provide a more intimate learning experience.  But will have less of a choice in opportunities.  Kind of like going to a large high school. 

Then you have location.  Urban (think DePaul), Suburban (Northwestern), Rural (NIU), and "college town" (Carbondale?).  Obviously it depends on what you're used to.  A city kid may be lost in a rural setting and the farmer is out of sorts in the city. 

Here is my take from my experience.  I had to choose between a small/med. high academic div. 3 school where I could play football and a western Pac 10 party school.  I had almost no guidance from my parents.  At 18, I didn't realize the educational opportunity at the div 3 school that football would help me to get in to.  The girls where ugly.  I made my decision based on snow and girls (isn't that was 18 year olds do?).  I went to the Pac 10 party school.  I ended up transferring to a Big 10 school in the Midwest -- a much better fit for me. 

So the best thing you can do for your kid is provide guidance -- don't let him make a decision based on girls/weather.  Focus him on location, size, educational opportunity, and if available baseball.  If I where you, I would start with the conferences close to home and branch out from there.  Look at Big "Ten", MAC, and some of the division 3s in IL/Wisconsin.  With the internet today, you can review a few dozen of those schools and see if anything fits.  Good luck.