Skip to main content

Reply to "Spectator's Conduct??"

I believe controlling players and fans behavior rests solely on the head coach's shoulders. I only have issues with first year players and parents, and usually just once. Once they know that I mean business when I say their conduct is unacceptable, it usually isn't a problem any more. I think the message has filtered down since 1997. In that year, I had a dad who berated an umpire in the 3rd game of the season. After telling him not to attend the next game, he showed up anyway. His son was our starting 2B. As soon as I saw his dad, I pulled the player off of the field and into the dugout. After the game, I spoke with the father and told him I had a couple of good leads for other teams for his son to play on. It hit him right in the mouth. His actions weren't going to hurt him, they would simply hurt his son. He asked if he could be given a second chance...and after a little deliberation, I decided to allow it. He would face a 1 week suspension from watching games, and as long as his behavior was OK when he returned we wouldn't have any additional problems. No problem until the last tournament of the year. Needless to say, his son played for another team the next season!