Skip to main content

Reply to "Spectator's Conduct??"

Much of my coaching style was learned behavior watching my college coach, Mike Fox, currently the head coach at the Univ. of North Carolina. He seemed to handle things on the field during the game, and for those things outside of the playing field that could go on during a game, he would have already made contingencies for them. Like, having an administrator present to handle out of control fans, etc... We don't have such an administrator...being a summer program and all. I never thought my level of maturity would be called into question. I want to win every game we compete in, but not at all costs! What is wrong with my having a private organization and running it the way we see fit? Anyone who doesn't want to abide by our rules is welcome to play somewhere else. We have developed these rules over 15 years of coaching together as a staff and program. Until 1997, we didn't have any post-season success. Beginning in 1998, we have appeared in 4 NABF World Series. I feel like our maturity as a coaching staff started to click and the success of our program began to take off. We don't measure our success in World Series won or rankings, but simply in developing as a team and teaching players the game of baseball. However, sometimes circumstances outside of our control warrant serious action. Again, we understand that players and parents are a package deal, and we appreciate the terrific fan support we get from the parents. However, I'm not going to embarrass a parent or our program by confronting a parent during a game situation. Maybe we'll never enjoy the success of some of our brothers from Florida and the like, but I have no problem sleeping at night. BTW, some of my comments may have come across as arrogant or cocky, but I didn't intend it that way. I was hoping to maybe learn something or make someone else think of alternative methods of handling unruly parents.

Bballdownsouth...I can relate to your situation. We had a player about 6 years ago whose dad frequently showed up at games drunk. However, he was not unruly. It would, however, upset the player (currently AAA with the Rangers). I told him anytime he was on the mound and felt like he needed to come out, he just had to give me the nod. He was often ashamed and embarrassed, and sometimes he was visibly shaken on the mound.

Redbird5, thanks for your perspective. I can simply say that I am the man who makes the rules for a private organization. See above, love it or leave it.

And finally, to the Bomber. You get more with honey then vinegar...sounds like something a salesman said to me once. The honey time was at the pre-season meeting. Parents know that they are always welcome to talk to us about things. We learn from them very often. But don't break the rules that you agreed to live by and think I am going to let it slide because your son is a starter. Wrong answer!