Skip to main content

Reply to "Speed and Agility"

Originally Posted by sowilson:

I would suggest the book "Training for Speed, Agility, and Quickness".  It has roughly 200 drills specific to your question. To maximize the effectiveness of SAQ training you'll want to develop a base level of strength (squat twice your body weight, bench press your body weight).  Ladder drills are good but one small part of a basic SAQ program.  You'll also need to learn how to run, how to move you're arms when you run, proper positioning of your toes, etc.  Hardly anyone has decent running technique prior to starting a SAQ program.  Interval running, starts, uphill and downhill running (on slight inclines and declines as well as hill/stadium sprints), parachutes, resisted and assisted running, pushing and pulling weighted sleds, hurdles, they're  all involved in a good SAQ program.  There is one good drill specific to baseball and that's a cross-over start.  Basically it mimic's taking a lead at a base and then stealing the next base.  You cross-over into the sprint.  One point with speed work, almost all of the drills require maximum effort.  You'll go through many reps of maximum effort, followed by recovery, and then the next rep.  Once you're worn down then you usually stop the speed work and go onto something else (i.e. form work).  By going at maximum effort you can improve speed, anything less and you really won't see improvement.  Have fun

Thanks, I'll check it out! Are the majority of the drills exercises you can do with little/no equipment? Those sleds are very expensive! Until I get that book, do you suggest to just get stronger so I can get that good foundation of strength?