Skip to main content

Reply to "Speed and Agility"

Originally Posted by GoldenGraham34:

What are some drills or exercises I can do to increase my speed and agility? Anything helps. Thanks!

To touch on a few points from above:

-The agility ladder is a good warm up tool, but besides that I don't have much use for it. It will not make you quicker, faster, or more explosive. 

-Someone mentioned that you need to build strength before you can build power and they are absolutely correct. The stronger you are the more force you can produce.

Speed is all about stride length x stride frequency. You can speed when you learn how to lengthen your stride, while maintaining or increase the velocity of which your legs move. These can be practiced as part of your dynamic warm up (high knees, bounding) or through plyos. 

Research as much as you can about sprinting mechanics. Technique makes a huge difference.

-When pumping your arms your hands should go from back behind your pocket (hip) to up next to your face (lip). Think hip-to-lip. 

-Hands should not cross mid-line of your body. Keep elbows in tight and not flared out.

-When swinging your arm from lip to hip lead with your elbow. Think of your elbow as a hammer and there is a nail directly behind you. Drive that elbow backwards with enough force to hammer a nail. 

-Practice pumping your arms in the mirror