Skip to main content

Reply to "Speed Limit on the Fastball"

As my kids would say, "Ooooohhhkaaaaaaayyy ...."

But seriously, folks ...

Articles like these call to mind similar articles written decades ago, where various scientists explained why no one would ever run a mile in less than 4 minutes. (Ooops.)

Meaning, someone will break through this supposed barrier someday. And others will follow.

I suppose there is a limit to what the human body can do. But something tells me the odds that the limit falls on a nice round number like 100 are not very good.

The more relevant question is, why throw 100 mph? Every day pitchers demonstrate that location, movement and change of speeds are far more important. Every day someone throwing 95+ fails to get batters out.

Think of Brad Penny in the All Star game. Here's a guy who's usually content to throw his fastball in the low 90's, but since he's on the big stage with only two innings to throw, he lets it all hang out and pumps 98-100 up there for two innings. He blows 'em away in the first inning, and seemed prepared to K all six batters he would face. It was an amazing thing ... until Vladimir Guerrero deposited an eye-high heater into the right field seats. Then we remembered that the Brad Penny who throws in the low 90's also throws other pitches and tries to use his head, and that guy was 10-2 heading into the all star break.

Speed is a weapon that can be used well, but in the end it's only one weapon. Focusing on one weapon to the exclusion of others is destined to fail.

Even Nolan Ryan wouldn't have done what he did without his wicked curve, or the circle change he developed after he turned 40.