Skip to main content

Reply to "Spin rate"

So, looking closer at the numbers I have for spin rate and break, I'm not necessarily seeing what I expect to see. Here will be the numbers for particular pitches for a few pitchers. Note I've chosen two top pitchers who throw harder than my son and a couple who throw about the same. Also note these numbers come from Rapsodo and I've noticed, for the most part that recorded velocities seem to be 3-4 mph below what I know they throw. I'm not sure if Rapsodo uses some sort of avg. over a distance, but the numbers seem too low for peak out-of-hand velocity and too high for across the plate:

velocity       spin rate        horizontal/vertical break

Dalton (my 2018)       87.8            1872                   -10.3/11.7                                                                                                       89.0            1783                  -10.4/13.3

Zach Argo                   87.6             2046                  -1.3/20.3                                                                                                        89.0             1978                  -3.6/18.4

Ethan Hankins           94.3             2422                  -9.1/16.1                                                                                                        93.0             2375                  -8.9/16.0

Mason Pelio               87.0             1941                  -4.2/16.4                                                                                                        86.6             1926                  -9.1/13.9

The first break number is horizontal (left to right) and the second is vertical (measured drop compared to flight path without gravity). I would expect my son't low spin rate to cause a greater vertical break than average. However, this doesn't seem to be true. In fact, he seems to have less sink on his fast ball than most. Instead, what I do see is greater horizontal break, in to right handed hitters, than the other pitchers I look at. Any insight?