Skip to main content

Reply to "Spin rate"

2017LHPscrewball posted: To begin with, until this system becomes cheap off the shelf, it will be reserved for top players.  As for high school stats, most of the comments are that college recruiters have difficulty in putting significant confidence in high school statistics across the board and can only really rely on them if they have first hand knowledge of the competition.  

Actually, it will only be reserved for players who can afford to go to venues where it’s available, and that isn’t necessarily only top players.

The HS stats scouts and recruiters have no confidence in are the stats derived from scorebooks, mainly the slash stats. And the reason they have no confidence in them isn’t because they don’t have firsthand knowledge of the competition, it’s because they don’t trust the validity of the numbers for various reasons.

The numbers coming from systems like trackman are the same as the numbers coming from a gun. They are objective, they are valid, and they are STATISTICS.

As for mph and KO's, both have their weaknesses and my comment was that these alone are not terribly productive, especially when you have a group of kids all throwing low 90's and you want to choose the kid that has the best chance to succeed at the next level - what helps separate these kids?

I just don’t get this statement: As this analysis gets refined, I suspect there will be more clarity as to which spin rates, possibly absent other outstanding metrics such as mph and KO's, are predictors of successful pitchers at the next nevel.

You called KOs and MPH outstanding metrics and predictors, but now are saying they aren’t terribly productive. I think what you’re trying to say is they’re ok predictors to generally separate those with a poor or no chance to move on from those that do, but aren’t worth much to rank those making that cut from best chance to least to have success at the next level. In that I agree.