Skip to main content

Reply to "spring team scenario - need opinions"

Thanks for all the replies!  I should have titled this - summer season and not spring.  My son is a returning member of his high school varsity team and has been told by his coach that he will be a part of the program next year.  16 year old Junior, younger than some sophomores. 20/10 vision in both eyes, 5’11” 155lbs, 3.5 GPA, volunteers, both swims and dives for his HS.  He is diving in his first conference tournament (first year diver) this Friday. He fully intends to play college baseball and we are trying to figure that part out.  The travel team he played for last year was a local college prep team that liked his abilities to catch (coaches told him that he was the best of three catchers and one of his best on the team at hitting). Some had greater ball velocity, but pop times were equivalent and my son has greater throwing accuracy to all bases. I do not have a current pop time.   Great coaches, 6 high school team mates on the team, and very few losses. This was one of the best travel team experiences for both of us. The team was merged with another program and was forming two teams.  The program announced and fully intended to bring the returning players back and keep them together for another great year. We skipped almost all tryouts for the 2015 summer for that reason, only to JUST be told that he was the only person that was going with the other team because they needed a catcher (much weaker team and no high school team mates).  This was very disappointing after being told he had a great year.  Feeling very slighted, my son is opting out of returning, hence my email about what is better, mediocre team or not playing / training or finding another team.  Yeah, we know the end will come eventually and he should quit being a sissy about it, but so he wants to enjoy it while he can. His team mates hang out all year at school, you know the HS team togetherness and they can not believe he is not on the team  - parents included.  The risk of waiting for a team to pop up seems like just that, too risky.

We have discussed what happens to most players at some point in their careers and the reality of what may happen.  We would not be here if we had been told by someone that he was mediocre and feel that we are struggling to keep him from falling through the cracks.  We have been told by many coaches and pitchers that he is one of the best blocking and receiving catchers.  Quick feet, controls the game, covers bunts well, – normal dominant catcher stuff.  Ball velocity needs to increase and he is working on that, but most coaches seem enamored with velocity only and typically we see that costing the team wins.  He catches, team wins, the guy with the A+ arm catches, we lose.  Typically due to poor blocking and framing, and the gun throwing the ball into the outfield.   

We have been to the Honor Roll Camp in NY and caught for guys pitching 88-92 MPH.  92 was difficult, as he had not seen that speed before, but he was able to block two at that speed and missed two, but had no issues with 92 that were catchable.  He had a base hit off that guy as well.  We have also been to a few college prospect camps from colleges that have showed any interest and started the college tours to see if my son likes the schools. 

We are sure we are facing the same things as everyone else and greatly appreciate the advice.  Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it is a bit clearer now.