Skip to main content

Reply to "Standard Camp Invite or Genuine Interest"

baseballhs posted:
CmassRHPDad posted:
Smitty28 posted:

I would not waste time on a school camp unless there is specific interest in your son, or it is the 11th hour (for a '21 it is not).  Otherwise you are more than likely wasting time and money - JMO.

I would say the one exception to this is if the camp hosts multiple schools/coaches, AND your player has communicated with coaches beforehand AND they are looking for him. For example BC and Northeastern each host annual winter camps and have multiple coaches from local schools in attendance. Cost was not too crazy, and my son was able to get good dialogs going with several coaches this way.

Boston College Spring Training Prospect Clinic http://collegebaseballcamps.com/bceagles/

I think there are a lot of exceptions to this, but I know most people here do not like camps.  If you are not on a power team (and everyone will say it is a mistake not to be), then it is a good way to be seen by target schools.  My son did not want to leave his friends.  They don't go to his school and were his best friends who he had played with since 8 years old.  Our route for recruiting included showcases and camps.  My son went to two SEC camps with no prior dialogue and had weekly conversations after camps.  If your kid isn't on a high profile team, he isn't going to be seen by some of the top programs especially those not in your region.  Camps can work.  In hindsight, I would say, contact them with video and stats before you go, but don't rule them out completely if your son hasn't gotten a personal invite.  I also know in hindsight that the Director of baseball operations isn't usually a personal invite

I cant speak for everyone, but I don't think folks universally dismiss camps.  They can be a useful tool.  IMO most folks get that impression off this board, but the usual take on camps is they can be good, but don't "cold call" the camps and expect to have the phone ringing off the hook by the time you leave.  Most camps are used to make money for the ACs.  Secondarily they are used to vet players.  If a player has had previous contact with the school, the school has interest in seeing the player perform and knows the student will be at the camp, then the camp can be a useful recruiting tool.  

If you just expect to show up at a camp without previous contact and interest from the school and be offered right there on the spot, know its not going to happen.