Skip to main content

Reply to "Standard Camp Invite or Genuine Interest"

If your son plays summer and fall travel ball (like my kid), then I assume that  there are only a couple of open weekends.  This fall was pretty typical:  two weekends with no tournament scheduled in September and October (reduced to one weekend after a rainout and a make-up event).  It turned out there were no camps of interest on that one weekend.  

I don't think son's coach would get bent out of shape if he skipped a typical weekend tournament to go to a camp at a school that was actively recruiting him, but I don't think son would want to do that more than once in a season. (I'm not aware of other players on the team doing it.  Could be I just didn't know why they were gone on a particular weekend.)  My son has gotten some notice from college coaches who saw him at tournaments.  Otherwise his in-person contacts were at Headfirst--after the summer season had ended--and he may do a similar multi-school showcase after the fall season ends.

I've been involved in a few threads here on camps... but I still feel like I'm missing something, because I don't really get how camps could be a major element of recruiting.    Timing, targeting and cost all seem to weigh against them.  If XYZ University is recruiting your kid, is nearby and their camp happens to be on a weekend when your son hasn't already committed to play with his travel team--then sure, why not?  But mostly the camp invites don't seem like useful recruiting tools to me.