Skip to main content

Reply to "Standard Camp Invite or Genuine Interest"

d-mac posted:

PWE, coaches seem to be using some pretty low tactics these days.  I had my son respond to some of the camp invites the other day.  Most were generic invites but some were listed as "we have identified you as a top prospect". One invite was a lot different than the rest and the next day there was an invite to their Fall game (but also threw in another camp invite) and requested videos, schedule and included his cell.  He responded to 16 schools stating that he plays football in the Fall and included a brief bio and a link to his youtube video.  3 people watched it.  One school reached out and asked if he could come the following month.  They aren't interested in him, they just want us to drive 7 hours so the VC can get his $150. 

On the flip side he sent out video and bio to some schools a few months ago.  A PC emailed him back within an hour with a breakdown of his pitching and said they wanted to see him on campus. The RC followed up a few hours later.  If that is a tactic to get us to spend $100 for a camp, then job well done. 

What do you consider low tactics?  I had to remind myself that recruiting is a two-way street.  As a parent and player, I'm doing everything I can to help my son be seen.  As a coach, they are doing everything they can to see the right players, plus make money for AC/VC.  It takes 100 emails to get the right response for us and it takes 1,000 emails for them to get the right player.  Understand there are players that should know they are not D1 or P5 players that dish out the money for every camp these schools offer.  Having been to several with my sons, it is tough to watch at times.  You just want to go down on the field and help the coaching staff by saying to about 90% of the players there that they will never be considered by X school and most will never play college ball.  My middle son is a JUCO coach for softball and does camps to help support his program and other coaches he brings in.  There is usually only about 5 players out of 100 that can help his program or any program but he has to do the camps/showcases to find the 5.