Skip to main content

Reply to "Standardized Testing in Baseball"

Is the target audience college coaches or parents/players?

Many PG tournaments now record every single pitch- speed, type or pitch and result.  Stat lines/box scores for both pitchers and hitters are already out there.  A hitters BA and to a degree power (via type of hit) are all recorded.  It wouldn’t take much for them to point another gun at the batter.  Heck, they can add a Rapsoda.  Currently, on a players profile, everyone can see their metrics rank compared to class.  I agree with 22and25 in that this is all in motion.   So, I am not too sure there are many recruits that, at a minimum aren’t aware of the public data and how to get some data recorded for themselves.  If a kid is not on a team that goes to PG or other similar events,  perhaps that could be a priority.  I am not saying this is important, but if you feel metrics should be standardized and are important, there are avenues now.

What I haven’t seen is someone presenting this data to players/parents in a comprehensive way to help them navigate their ‘fit’.  We all know about USNews College rankings but there is nothing out there using baseball data in a remotely similar fashion.