Skip to main content

Reply to "Stanford 1 vs Stanford 2?"

My 2016 son had a great experience at Stanford 2 as a rising Junior.  I don't think there is much step down in quality, unless one values the talks and being able to stay in dorms, etc.  Those things didn't matter to my son; he was focused more on the coaches and the exposure.  Definitely fewer players, but he was able to throw on a Sat evening at Stanford with at least 6 Ivy decision makers in the crowd, one of whom was his coach....in addition to Wake and many other high academic D1s.  He contacted every coach he cared about in advance, and it paid off.  I know of 2 2016s who were there at S2 who were offered shortly after and are signed up (both are studs and will likely get drafted as well).  The other reason that S2 made sense for us (in fact, it was the only option) is the timing of S1.  S1 is right during prime travel tournament season and there was no way my son could bail on his travel team for S1.  By using the search button, one can find a list of the schools that typically attend S2, or just email Coach Stotz or one of his helpers...they are very, very responsive.  Bottom line:  I would not fret at all about "settling" for S2 over S1.