Skip to main content

Stanford Camp #1 (2018) report

Stanford report:

Check in late Sat afternoon. Kids get dorm rooms, head to dinner, parents disappear.  Dorm food ok by 2019's standards.  Parents are welcome to observe the camp, not dinner!, but keep their distance. Not a lot of interaction over the next three days, whether it's a workout, hitting drill, or a game. One game a day for three games total (two of which are at the Sunken Diamond, Stanford's gorgeous home field. The other game is at a nearby  high school). Counts start 1-1.

Aside from the games kids have position work outs, several batting drills with computers measuring things like exit velo.  60 yd. dash.  Shuttle. Other conditioning stuff.  These drills/practices are done in front of only a few coaches, and they are daily, either in the morning when a kid's game may be in the afternoon, or in the afternoon, when a kid's game may be in the morning.

The games at the stadium are where most of the coaches are, and there are more coaches there than the camp literature indicates will be there.  So many and so subtly dressed that it's often difficult to know who is watching.  What IS clear is Dartmouth and Georgetown HCs watched every pitch of every game, often seated behind a screen behind home plate.  They took notes.  Stanford admins say notes are not shared among the coaches.  Not sure I understand that, but you have to have a certain level of trust. I guess.  Stanford admins say much of the event, games and drills, offense and defense, metrics, etc, is filmed or recorded with the clips going to the kids only.  Kids are supposed to get the info a couple of weeks after camp

Fact: 2019 initiated contact with the D1 coaches whose programs he was interested in when he saw them, not the other way around. They did not seek him out.  On the flight home he said he thinks that if they really had been interested in him, they would have sought him out.  The D3s are a little different.  He heard from two new ones each day, including today, via email.  

The weather was stunningly good.  Sunny. but comfortable.   The more aggressive 2019 was at the plate the better he did.  And while he didn't hear from the promised land of the Ivy League, he did hear very encouraging news from several very high end D3s, along with, as of today, with four other schools he has very little interest in.  I know this report is a little general, but I'm happy to answer any questions if you PM me.

"Don't be mean now because remember: Wherever you go, there you are..." Buckaroo Banzai

Original Post