Skip to main content

Reply to "Stanford Camp v. Duke Camp, Summer 2018"

What a great, detailed summary of the camps! 

My two cents: The two camps are different animals. Stanford camp is a place where lots of high academic and other D1 coaches participate as coaches for the player teams for the purpose of recruiting, while unless I am mistaken, the Duke camp is staffed by Duke coaches only. 

My son went to Duke, and the then Duke coaching staff first saw him at the Stanford Camp. Interestingly, they did not approach him at the camp - only coaches that are officially participating in the camp are allowed to approach and talk to the players. So they called him a few days later on July 1. That means there are likely other schools watching the Stanford Camp games than the coaches that are listed as participating.

The Stanford Camp was terrific, and obviously life changing for my son. I would expect the Duke camp is pretty much like all the other college team run camps - they do it mostly for $$ and they obviously hope a real prospect or two attends, but it is not entirely for recruiting.

Obviously the mystique of Duke does get some campers there. And that locker room - it's in Cameron Indoor, adjacent to the visitor locker room. My son laughed about getting done with practice, which was often right at half time of the basketball game, and listening to the opposing coach chew out his players.