Skip to main content

Reply to "Starting All Over"

You need to find an adult league to play in. The next level, at this point in time for you, is any level. You need to play somewhere, if that's what you want.

Noticed something you said that is very revealing.

quote:
Going into high school I hadn't grown much. I was 5'1" my freshman year. And hadn't gained any velocity since little league, still low 70's. I no longer could overpower hitters, so I had to learn how to pitch. I had great control and good to great slider, 2 seam, and circle change.

Must admit that this following quote wasn't really all that surprising.

quote:
Going into my sophomore year I was 5'3" and still low 70's. Halfway through I decided to go back to the orthropedic surgeon this time for my elbow. An MRI showed that I had torn my UCL, so a week later I had Tommy John surgery.

Some might disagree, but sliders are for the older boys. Your not the first kid to blow his arm throwing sliders at too young an age. I also believe split finger pitches are hard on young kids. We have seen kids throw splitfingers that don't do much at all other than put strain on the arm. To me that is another pitch for the older boys. If anyone doesn't believe that... Hold your hand out at release position and feel how relaxed your arm feels. Now spread your index and middle fingers apart as far as you can. You should immediately feel the tightness. Tightness is not a good thing when throwing a baseball. Especially in young arms that have yet to develop.