Skip to main content

Reply to "Starting to come to his games"

quote:
How did/does everyone else stay grounded when this kind of thing happens?

ktcosmos, It can be difficult. You are dealing with scouts, graduation, prom, and college all at the same time. It can also be hard sitting at the ball park and hearing the scouts talk about your son like he was a piece of merchandise they were thinking of purchasing…

Something that helped me was being told that no matter what my son decided to do (whether he goes to college or goes in the draft) the scouts would be following him from now on, so he better get use to them. I decided I better get use to them, too. I now just ignore them. If they want to talk they will come over and say hello and if they don’t I go about enjoying my son’s senior year and leave them alone to do their job in peace.

I also sat down with my son and had a long heart to heart about what to focus on. The scouts can add a lot of pressure to a player who isn’t use to them being around. First, I told him to concentrate on helping his high school team get to state this year. Second, to focus on getting to college by keeping his grades up and staying in shape. These are things he can control. He can not control whether the MLB teams will draft him or if they will draft him high enough to take a chance of giving up an education.

Also, I try to leave it all in God’s hands. Sometimes what one wants is not always what is best for them. Good luck to your son.
Last edited by HowUbe