Skip to main content

Reply to "Statistics"

I agree too a thread on stats would be interesting. Some people here seem to be into interpreting stats and could answer questions.

I think in HS, and I am not a scout or recruiter, but seeing stats will peak interest as to be seen. In the scheme of things, not sure how much it really matters, in the long run as to a players projectibility for the future. But if someone is the HR leader in his state, you know he is going to create a stir! Or someone who strikes out more than others, for sure.

In looking over stats this summer at the cape I find it oh so interesting that those whose batting averages were not as good in college have taken off, those that did better in college are struggling. The top prospects are adjusting very well, and will always find a way to get on base, good OB%. An other example, the HR leader does not have the best stats. But he will be a top draft choice I am sure. As far as pitchers, I see some who have had outstanding ERA's in college drop significantly when facing better competition. It doesn't mean they are not very good pitchers (they wouldn't be there) but just an indication who you face can mean a difference in your stats, so in my opinion should not indicate you are better or not better as someone else.

It's not to hard to figure out, but these are things that can be explained to those hung up on HS or college stats. And for those of us wondering about pro stats and how each is significant at each level.

Thanks
Last edited by TPM