Skip to main content

Reply to "Stay on Back Side Longer"

teddy9 posted:

wow, great gif of bautista....  here's a round of BP, but not sure it's going to give any insight.   I'm trying to find recent video of his swing.  Thanks everyone who has chimed in, I'm digesting it all. 

The last 20 sec of vid is a second round of BP, just "zoomed in".  (2019 5-9ish, 150ish) 

https://youtu.be/ZjHrpIYE7j4

Teddy, I would suggest spending more time looking for hitters/clips who are staying on the ball and driving it oppo.  It appears that the critique of your son is that he has too much of what the pull hitters like Bautista and Bellinger are showing and that he needs to work on balancing that with more of an oppo/middle approach.

Looking briefly at his clip from UNC (good looking kid, BTW), it appears that his intent is always pull so his hips and upper body commit to opening early and opening fully.  So, he collapses a bit more (around the ball) than one would see with a balanced approach.  So, even though he occasionally hits oppo direction, those hits are lacking connected power - he has already spent much of his stored rotational energy.  I have a kid that looks just like this in our program.  When we can get him staying back and balanced and thinking oppo/middle, he is strong to all fields and can hit both FB and off-speed well.  When he reverts to his pull tendencies, he hits pull side and pull side gap well but hits outside pitches and off-speed weakly.