Skip to main content

Reply to "Staying back on the ball"

Originally Posted by Golfman25:

Actually, when this problem appeared with my son, he moved up in the box and focused on hitting opposite field. 

I’ve never fully understood why that isn’t a tactic more hitters employ. I understand that the longer the hitter can wait, the more accurately his brain can assess whether the ball is a pitch he can hit and still give him time to get the bat into a position it will meet the ball. In fact, it’s the main reason strength is so important, thus giving PEDs a huge benefit for hitters.

I don’t know what pitching distance we’re talking about here, but since this is a HS forum, I’ll use 60’. Generally speaking, an 80MPH pitch takes 0.511 seconds to travel 60’, .456 seconds from release to get to the back of the plate, and .371 seconds from release to get to a point 10’ in front of the plate. If a hitter moves up just a foot in the batter’s box, what happens? Of course there’s less time but what does that mean really?

It has the effect of increasing velocity, but how much? In GENERAL, the PERCIEVED velocity would be about 1MPH, and the time difference would be less than 0.01 second. Would that make a difference? Of course it would, but would there be any advantages that might outweigh any disadvantages?

But even though more time is generally “better”,