Skip to main content

Reply to "Staying well-armed ... Young pitchers are increasingly at risk of injury"

Bum,

You sure are on this CU kick, hehe! My son has one of the best cu around, when he can command it, ( not very often). Your opinion may be that sliders are bad for the arm, perhaps bad for your kids arm. Whatever, you have your opinion. Let me ask this- how many professional pitchers throw a breaking ball over 80 mph? How many throw a cutter over 85 mph? The "slider" is a pitch that is thrown with mechanics somewhere between a traditional curve ball and the fastball. The cutter is very similar to the slider but then again, so is the traditional curve ball. So, how many professional pitchers are on the road to ruin because they throw a slider or cutter, or any "hard" breaking ball? You can learn to throw any pitch safely. Like I said before, we had 2 kids on our hs team that had chronic inside elbow pain. Neither one of them pitch a breaking ball. Why is it then that there were also 2 kids on our hs team that threw hard breaking balls that have never had chronic elbow pain?

This reminds me of some of those baseball camps where they go into all these drills supposedly to protect your arm and increase velocity and efficiency saying this or that is bad and yet, you go watch video of long term professional successful pitchers and they do everything opposite of what you learned at camp.