Skip to main content

Reply to "Staying well-armed ... Young pitchers are increasingly at risk of injury"

Skylark - I’m going to give you the same perspective my surgeon gave me 20 years ago.  Pitching (a baseball) is one of the most unnatural and violent motions to the human body.  The rotator cuff was not meant to throw overhand with any force at all.  Hence the reason fast pitch softball pitcher can throw all day and in some cases two days in a row... it’s really not that uncommon to see a young lady pitch a complete game then throw a few more the next day... but overhand pitching... the human body just wasn’t made for it.  Think about that for a minute. 

Now - Ill say this, having been the recipient of reconstructive surgery (RT rotator cuff).  Pitching has its dangers and risks associated.  But they can be mitigated with proper instruction on mechanics, conditioning specific to pitchers, and arm care.  I don’t care what pitch you throw.  If it is thrown with poor mechanics, no strength and conditioning program, the arm is overused whether it is in a bullpen, on the mound or playing a position... you will end up with a 4" scar just like many others.