Skip to main content

Reply to "Staying well-armed ... Young pitchers are increasingly at risk of injury"

I agree with you, it is not an easy pitch, that is why the earlier a pitcher is taught the concept, the easier it can be, notice that I said CAN.  The mechanics HAVE to be repeated the same as the FB, to be effective. My son was tipping that pitch for awhile, he would change his slot with a CU.  They won't notice it in HS, but the better hitters will pick it up in college and pro ball. A pro pitcher can have a very good change in his arsenal, one of the folks that posts here has a son in pro ball with an excellent change up!

Most pro pitchers will tell you that they can't throw a good change up because they weren't taught the proper mechanics to begin with, and they had more success with using a CB and easier pitch to pick up.  Sometimes it is the lastpitch they add to their arsenal. The better the FB (with velocity) with two more decent offerings the higher the draft selection.

FWIW, my son is 27 and still in the game, and he would not change one thing as to what he did, and that includes NOT using a breaking ball more consistantly after HS.