Skip to main content

Reply to "Staying well-armed ... Young pitchers are increasingly at risk of injury"

Originally Posted by infielddad:
Originally Posted by Skylark:
For what it is worth- I watch a lot of pro ball and I see guys with horrible CU's- not any different than high school. We talk about a big league change-up and stuff but in reality the only real  difference is velocity. I see professional pitchers who slow the arm motion down, change arm slot, etc. when throwing their cu. On the flip side I have seen kids in hs with scarier than @#%$ change-ups. There are fewer kids in hs that throw convincing cu's, but you see the same thing in professional ball too. Not very many professional p[itchers who use a cu as their out pitch- just not convincing enough.
Other than you might watch of "lot of pro ball" (does that still mean the Pioneer league) there really is not much validity to anything in your post.  Pitching coaches far and wide would be getting fired left and right if, in Milb and in MLB,  they were turning out pitchers who telegraph their change in the ways described in this post.
The continued attempt to suggest HS pitchers/pitches are of the the same or better quality as those in MLB or the higher levels of Milb is awfully good evidence of a poster lacking knowledge or credibility.

I am not saying hs pitchers are better than pro pitchers, even with the CU. By saying I watch a lot of "pro ball" I am meaning it in the sense of watching it on television. I do get out to minor league games but in truth, it doesnt matter if you watch them on tv or live- you know a good pitch when you see it. The hardest thing for any pitcher to throw the cu is creating identical arm action as the fastball coupled with some ability to command it. I can say positively that 80% of mlb pitchers tip their cu in their delivery and that as a fact, the cu in mlb is not generally an out pitch for the majority of pitchers. Pitching coaches at all levels do not get fired if they cant produce great  change-ups from their pitchers.  Honestly, most pro pitchers live off the fastball and break8ng ball