Skip to main content

Reply to "Staying well-armed ... Young pitchers are increasingly at risk of injury"

Originally Posted by mcloven:

It's a logicial fallacy to assume that just because there are more operations today the problem is getting worse. 

Except for the fact that Dr. Andrews himself says the problem is getting worse.

When I met Dr. Andrews, he told me very bluntly that the number one source of arm injury, bar none, is overuse. Everything else is a distant second. There are, of course, many contributing factors to overuse. But it's #1.

There is nothing kinetically wrong with throwing a curveball, as proven time and time again by medical research. I would be wary to teach a young pitcher to throw breaking pitches, however, because lesser-developed bodies struggle repeating mechanics when fatigued. When a pitcher begins compensating for a lack of "stuff" (for lack of a better term) by altering his mechanics, that's when things can go wrong. Young pitchers don't know how to properly cope with the necessary adjustments on the mound, and that is why the principle of breaking pitches being bad for the arm has been developed.

And by the way, for those following along, it is completely incorrect to say that 80% of MLB pitchers tip their pitches at some point. 

Skylark, data about the information you give is not difficult to find on the Internet. I'd urge you to not rationalize by saying "I think everyone can agree". Because no, actually, everyone can't agree. From 2003-2011, more changeups were thrown than curveballs, by a significant margin. The 2012 season was the first in 11 years to see more curveballs than changeups league-wide. Perhaps that would be a good research project for you...to hypothesize why that may be the case. As I said, raw data is the way to go.