Skip to main content

Reply to "Staying well-armed ... Young pitchers are increasingly at risk of injury"

mcloven,

To suggest the research comes to one clear conclusion, and rationalize the number of TJ surgeries on baseball players age 16 and under can certainly be argued.  While it won't matter with our son, it might be important for those with son's age 8-16 to appreciate the entire picture is anything but clear cut.

In 2011, the National Athletic Trainers Assn did a lengthy analysis and position paper on youth sports and injuries.  The article found that youth baseball was studied more than any sport and they incorporated all the ASMI work and that of Dr. Fleisig and Dr Andrews.  It also included the comparative assessments of the various articles leading that organization to a recommendation as follows:

"Parents and coaches should restrict the use of breaking pitches in order to prevent pitching-related arm injuries.20 If an individual pitcher can throw breaking pitches on a limited basis and remain symptom free, then it may be allowed; however, if the use of this pitch precedes the development of any throwing-related symptoms, it should be immediately terminated and the athlete should seek medical attention."

While this thread, as do most, ends up focusing on the elbow and TJ, the far more problematic area is the shoulder, where more than one article reports an association of pain and curveballs..  Shoulder surgery, especially for labrum tears does not have anywhere near the success rate of the UCL/TJ procedure.  In 2008, a Phillies team orthopedist conducted a study and found that about 25% of players with shoulder surgery recovered to be able to compete and succeed at the pre-injury/surgery level.

Finally, because of the focus on the UCL/TJ, we also fail to factor growth plate injuries in young players in the equation and discussions such as this.

I fully realize there are Dad's and others who post about their son throwing curveballs, sliders and the like beginning at age 10 and without any problems.  Again, I also realize most think the TJ/UCL repair works every time.  It does not.

Having a son who is now coaching in college, my perspective is looking at this over a very, very long time in terms of baseball.  When our son's are playing little league, it seems like nothing could be better.  That is true until HS. That is then true until college and beyond.;

One constant which I think Dr Flesig and Dr Andrews agree upon is that arm and shoulder injuries and surgeries result from cumulative, long term stress, strain, wear and tear.  We cannot see it. Often times, our son's cannot feel it or conceal from us that they feel it.  Even when they feel it, they don't appreciate what it might be.

I take 3 things from this thread which I believe parents of HS and pre-HS age players should appreciate: 

Young players and pitchers especially are being diagnosed in greater numbers and at younger ages with repetitive stress injuries from playing baseball.

Overuse is the main culprit but by no means the consensus only culpable aspect, especially for the shoulder.

Parents need to educate themselves more than ever about the risks of injury while their sons are young and over the long term and how those risks project when baseball gets really fun and the most exciting for our sons(IMO) which is HS, college and Milb.