Skip to main content

Reply to "Still want to play professional baseball???????"

Chris loves the game itself and always will, and would have continued to play in a heartbeat, he was very close to the big leagues and the injuries couldn't come at the worst time in '09 and '10, but it was the "business of baseball" and all that goes with it which compelled him to seriously rethink his future outside of the game.  Yes, pro baseball is an industry just like others in many ways but, at times, it also operates in a different galaxy than what my family was accustomed to, and Chris believed it was time to start new chapters in his life.  As I've said before, talent, performance, character, and work ethic can get you very far in this game...but only so far at times, there can be much more to it than that and some if it boggles your mind and challenges your soul.  Chris (as well as my other two sons) was extremely blessed to experience what he did in baseball and he will be eternally thankful for so much of it but, despite the injuries, there were obstacles and issues which precluded Chris from moving forward.  I admire so very much the players who continue to live their passion on the diamond, season after season; that passion burned in Chris as well, and likely still does to a large degree, but the "peculiarities" of the pro baseball business was the impetus behind Chris' pursuit of other career paths.  Good luck to your son njbb, I remember him well, excellent infielder!