Skip to main content

Reply to "Still want to play professional baseball???????"

Thanks InfieldDad,
I appreciate your perspective and it is definitely the most accurate of all the different perspectives presented here in this post. Today I’m sitting in a hotel room in my son’s team’s hometown waiting to watch another minor league game. I try to visualize what these men are going through as they chase their dream ---- for the players, the brutal reality of minor league baseball is clouded by the rainbow that pop time speaks of. But the rainbow is not real! It is nothing more than a self induced ignorance that is a necessary part of their make-up at this level. We all know this “rainbow” will disappear for most of the players and they will come crashing into reality. I don’t talk about the odds of making it and they don’t talk about it. This is what they want to do but I can tell you it has NOTHING to do with money. You have to listen to what the players talk about. They talk about baseball and the human emotions involved in the game. They talk about the cheers and the boos from the fans. They talk about the loss of a teammate and the new kid on the block. They don’t talk about how much money they don’t make or how much money anyone else makes. Financial status is NOT the discussion of these players.
Infield dad needs no help in making his points but let me add that is difficult for the average “fan” to truly understand the toughness of minor league baseball. I hope that someday all parents will be able to look into their son’s eyes and listen to his conversations when he talks about the great time he’s having playing a very tough job ---- minor league baseball.
Fungo