Skip to main content

Reply to "Still want to play professional baseball???????"

PopTime,
Nothing in my post came from the training I have as a lawyer. It came from the perspective of a parent and a friend.
It came as a parent who is watching from a very long distance and trying to emotionally support a son who is doing his very best to play with a baseball injury that is physically debilitating. He is battling the emotions of feeling, at times, he does not belong as the injury and its impact affects his ability to perform and prove himself, when performing and proving yourself is the only measuring stick of your employer. Playing injured, as one manager told him, is not considered, and should not be an "excuse."
My comments came as a friend of the player who got the call of his trade. I watched the player and his wife climb into his 1990's something pickup, with all their wordly belongings that they had packed overnight, and head off into the dark on a 6 hour busride they were beginning at 11pm. I felt deeply for him and his family.
My comments came with the anticipation that learning the "rigors" of minor league ball, on the business side would be helpful to some. I didn't view the comments as "silly" and don't see the issue as "silly" either.
I am probably a bit overly sensitive right now and am sorry if my post seemed biting. Not intended that way.
Fungo, As usual, fabulous post.
Jason told us you were coming to town.(Even the players know when Fungo is arriving. Smile) We were there only for the game Sunday night after moving things from Fla and racing back home to attend to business demands. I hope you have a great time in Lansing. Bring them some hits/runs/no errors and great pitching.
CD, as is the norm, I agree with almost every point and observation. I do think we have a difference though on the capitalism. MLB has an antitrust exemption that permits them to do things every other business is not permitted to do in a capitalist economy. I wonder how that impacts. Sure wouldn't change all the players who dream and chase the dream. It is definitely a "sellers" market and MLB uses that plus the exemption quite effectively as one would anticipate a billion dollar industry might.
Last edited by infielddad