Skip to main content

Reply to "Still want to play professional baseball???????"

Coach2057,

I actually think you brought up some good points. We often concentrate on the bad rather than the good side of being a professional baseball player.

There are some very different things between playing professional baseball and teaching/coaching at a high school.

While playing in the minor leagues can be hard, with long hours and not much money… It is still something that most young players want to do.

They still call it “playing” rather than “I work in the minor leagues”! I’ve never heard a young player say… He “works” for a major league club.

Probably the most notable difference is what happens if you become one of the best in your field.

As one of the best high school coaches or teachers what is your peak earning potential? How long does it take to reach that level?

As a professional baseball player what is your peak earning potential?
How long does it take to reach that level?

I do believe “most” minor league players are underpaid. But the majority of anything that could be called “work” is for individual reasons. The minor league player does not “work” for anyone other than himself. You could say he is somewhat self employed, despite having a contract with one organization.

Playing minor league ball is not easy. The travel and pay are tough for some players, but they don’t have to take care of the field or deal with parents.

If we think the players have it tough, we should feel even more sorry for many of the professional scouts out there. They are paid in the same range as teachers and if you think players travel a lot, think about the scouts this time of the year. Crosscheckers and scouting directors can have a problem knowing where they are from one day to the next. There are area scouts who cover 5-6 states and they do their own driving (no bus driver).

Guess what I’m getting at… I don’t ever feel sorry for any young man who is playing minor league baseball. In fact, I’m very happy for them! After all, they’re doing what millions of young players would do for nothing… They’re “playing” baseball at the professional level. What “job” could be better for a baseball player? How many jobs have the potential earning power of a professional baseball player?

There is always two ways to look at things.