Skip to main content

Reply to "Still want to play professional baseball???????"

PG, as usual, brings a very good focus. Those comments, along with the always terrific insight from CD, lead me to this post.
My son would probably be horrified that I started this thread. He is living a dream!! Never complains about the 13 hour bus rides, pay, living situation, off season conditioning, etc. He cherishes nearly every single minute.
In 2005, his manager was almost apologetic when he didn't get a day off in almost 40 games. My son responded that there was no need to worry, he would play every day, every game if they would let him. Jason often jokes how some of these situations are an upgrade from baseball at the DIII level.
His off season conditioning program and rehab over this winter are a reflection of pure passion. If you can imagine walking on a treadmill on a 4% incline at 3.5 mph, doing 15 reps for 30 seconds...walking on your hands, you have an example of his efforts to be ready by 3/5/07. You do not extend yourself physically to the point of tears unless you are singularly motivated and love what you are doing.
I can assure everyone that my son does not want anyone to feel sorry for him. He, much better than I, understood that when his ex-teammate and wife drove off at 11pm, they did so in pursuit of a dream, also.
This post/thread is solely some reflections from the view of a parent about the off field and the business side. I should have made that distinction from the beginning.