Skip to main content

Reply to "Strike 3 in dirt....interference?"

quote:
Originally posted by luv baseball:
mrumpitresir - Would you please describe a play that 7.09(a) applies? I understand why folks are saying what they are saying but I cannot think of a scenario other than the one decribed where this rule could possibly apply at all.

This is verbatim from the MLBUM;

45. Interpretation of Rule 7.09(a): Batter Interferes After Third Strike Not Caught

Official Baseball Rule 7.09(a) provides that the batter runner be called out for interference if "after a third strike he hinders the catcher in his attempt to field the ball".

Play: First base unoccupied or two out. Strike three not caught. Batter-runner unintentionally kicks, touches, or otherwise deflects the pitched ball that was not caught by the catcher. Catcher is unable to make a play.

Ruling: If this occurs in the vicinity of home plate, the ball is alive and in play. However, if this occurs up the first base line (where the batter-runner has had time to avoid the ball) interference is called, the batter-runner declared out, and runners return to base occupied at time of pitch.

And I'm not offended by you misspelling my handle.