Skip to main content

Reply to "Strike Zone"

quote:
Originally posted by JMoff:
We all know you each have your zone and we respect that, just keep it the same for both teams & be consistent, just don't start calling the batter's box lines as strikes and we won't have any issues.

Again I'll show my naivite, but why would an umpire brag about calling balls as strikes?

I agree 100% with your consistency comment. You have every right to expect that.

As far as the strike zone, I try to call what my assignor wants me to call. He is my boss.

The "rulebook" top of the zone is too high. A pitch at the midpoint between the top of the uniform pants and the top of the shoulders will usually result in cries of "leave it up" from the dugout. The bottom of the ribcage is the top of my zone.

The "rulebook" bottom of the zone is the only part that is just right. If the top of the ball nicks the hollow below the knee, the pitch is not low. It is also very hittable.

As far as in and out goes, about a baseball off the black is reasonable and hittable. Anything less and I'm getting dinged on my evals for not calling enough strikes.

The catcher can also influence calls (both ways). If he sets up inside and has to lunge outside to reach it, he's probably not getting the call (he's definitely not getting it if he doesn't catch the pitch). On the other hand, a catcher who sets up a bit off the plate (within reason), and sticks the pitch will probably get that one.

If you want to call me out for not calling strikes "by the book," you are not a keen observer of the game. Just watch the CWS some time.

As I said, I call what my assignor tells me to call. He's also one of very few men who have worked the national championship in all three divisions.