Skip to main content

Reply to "strongest league in Wa"

Originally Posted by Coach_Mills:

I would love to! I looked up districts in and around the KingCo area. You are correct, a few haves and a few more have nots. Do you feel this has much to do with playing time (due to weather)? Or more to do with what you mentioned of lack of coaching commitment?Can you speak a little more about when season starts/finishes? I know WA has some great playing months in the summer, but maybe not much for fall ball would you say?

The season starts ten days or so after a tryouts begin, which (at least in KingCo) is always right around March 1.  Starts with some non-league gameconference ague games begin around mid-March.  20-game season ending right about now (we wrapped up yesterday); we played 15 league games and 5 non-league. Conference Playoffs always starts first week of May, last about a week, then the State Playoffs begin, which wrap up  by Memorial Day.  15U and above summer leagues begin in earnestright after that, and go through most of July.  The weather after Father's Day, and especially after the 4th of July, is ideal.  August is more "showcase" season around here, with players going to teams they can try out for and be invited to participate on, both at the regional and national level.  It is also the month players try out for the following season's summer ball/select teams.  There are a few fall ball leagues, but not through schools (I believe the WIAA has a part in this; football is also pretty popular and it is hard to overlap fall baseball with football here).  Scout team leagues, etc. They'll play through early-to-mid-October (the weather here is usually pretty good through September, and acceptable through mid-October.

it is hard to say why HS baseball doesn't have more of a foothold here.  Some of it is the weather, which is less than ideal during the HS season.  In Seattle, there aren't a lot of good fields, and some of the schools aren't built on the amount of land it takes to build a decent field.  Many share fields with LL's, men's leagues, and because of parks and schools budget cuts, maintenance isn't what it used to be, and getting field time is difficult anto more expensive than it should be.. Coaches aren't paid what they should be, and many have to supplement that by coaching summer teams.  Sports like lacrosse have become very popular in the NW and have taken some athletes out of the game.  If you get too far outside of a reasonable travel range, select starts to dry up (and decent rec leagues too, to some degree, because they've lost competition in more populated areas to select), and schools populated in these areas just lack experience relative to areas well-serviced by select teams/leagues.  There are lots of reasons.

There is opportunity, though, and good, persistent coaches who are personable and reach out to kids can probably build a lot out of a little.