Skip to main content

Reply to "Success and failure"

Originally Posted by Soylent Green:

Which guy would you rather have on the bump in the proverbial game seven, Morris... Or Bert Blyleven?"

I don't know about proverbial game sevens, but Morris pitched only one actual deciding game.  It was a great game, but his entire postseason resume is as inconclusive as his regular season record.  He pitched in four postseasons.  In two of them, he won all of his starts and his teams won the WS.  In the other two, he went winless with ERA's in the 6-8 range.  Overall he went 7-4 with a 3.80 ERA in the postseason.  ten.  

I'm not going to wade into the Jack Morris HOF debate except to note that Baseball Reference's  list of the ten most similar players includes 5 who are in the HOF and 5 who are not.  That circumstance, along with the passion with which both sides of his case are argued, tells me he stands squarely astride the border.  Whether one places him in or out may say more about individual views of how inclusive/exclusive the HOF should be than where Morris ranks among pitchers.

I'll also say that the fact that Morris could go from <20% of the vote to >65% does not inspire confidence in the selection system.