Skip to main content

Reply to "Success and failure"

Still think your arguments center strictly on numbers and not on the things that I mentioned re competitiveness, etc.  I will agree that there are a fair amount of position guys in the Hall, particularly MIFs and 3B, who seem like head scratchers as to why they're in.  Don't know if it's right or not, but I've always attributed this to defense being more highly prized in earlier days (and 3B was generally a defensive position until relatively recently), whereas it's almost a non consideration today.  If electing with defensive prowess carrying maybe 50% of the weight, then Whittaker and Trammel would be a different story in my mind.  But... So would a lot of guys.  Like Reggie Jackson said, 'shake the baseball tree and 100 MLB gloves drop out for every 1 MLB bat'.  Fewer still MLB pitchers I believe.

Pitching is the most unique spot and has always received the most attention, and the most scrutiny I suspect.  There are a few questionable inclusions maybe, but overall a righteous group of greatness... Especially looking at the last 70 years. I do agree with you that Morris would be in the bottom 25%, but still belongs in... And rates better than Blyleven.  We'll have to agree to disagree about it.