Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer After Sophomore Year @ H.S."

Francis7, I’m in the same situation as you with a few nuances. First of all, “I’m a Dad and not in the know”. 😊 My 2022 is a MIF/OF who started Varsity last year, won State and will likely be in the running this year. His Summer team is well recognized and will travel to the most competitive tourneys (PG, Five Tool) in Tx, and one each-Ga, Az and FL. I would say his top skills are speed (6.8) & glove/footwork. I think he can improve his EV and arm. GPA is 3.7. Hasn’t taken the ACT/SAT yet.

Like you, I’m trying to nudge him to be more proactive in reaching out to coaches via email this Spring-Summer. He’s on the radar of a few D1s, but just not sure what that means in terms of real interest. Our Summer coach who we have played for 3 years, is very well connected with several (D1-JUCO) coaches and feels this summer should give way to an offer or two given the amount of exposure and timing, of course. Here’ s the rub...no videos or emails are top of son’s mind right now. Reason? “Summer coach will make the contacts”.Maybe, but I don’t like having all eggs in one basket, eh Coach and I’m sure coaches want to see the interest. 😀 Son did commit to not playing football next year if he doesn’t garner an offer(s) he is thrilled about and will focus solely on baseball/recruiting. 

All that being said, It’s hard to take my hands off the wheel and trust son and respectful coach to manage this. I created a spreadsheet of schools, but I refuse to write emails. I will help when he identifies schools of interest.