Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer After Sophomore Year @ H.S."

Francis7 posted:
anotherparent posted:

Have you asked the travel coach where he projects? I agree you can't expect him to do everything, but if it's possible to make it a partnership, that is ideal.  Share your list with the coach, and ask what he thinks.  A good travel coach won't recommend your son to schools unless he feels it's a good fit, otherwise he loses credibility. On our 16U team there were a lot of parents who were mad because they didn't feel that the coach was reaching out to the schools they wanted at tournaments - but, given where the kids were at that time, he was right.

Travel coach strongly feels that he's a D1 player. That said, the coach has preached to him that he should consider D2 or D3 if it's a better fit in terms of the school and program. The coach would be the first one to tell you that the #5 D3 team would probably be as good experience as playing for the #275 D1 team and that you shouldn't get the mindset that it has to be D1 or bust.

What you have to do is ask very specifically, does the travel coach feel that he is someone he feels comfortable recommending to D1 coaches right now (which usually means he has D1 measurables or at least height right now), or does he think he will (i.e. might) become a D1 player?  In the first case, you should coordinate what you're doing with the travel coach, or at least inform him of what you are doing.  If you go to a camp, tell him so he can contact them beforehand.  After all, if a college is interested, they will most likely contact your coach at some point, just like baseballhs said.  If it's projection for the future, then go ahead and do what you do (I agree you can't leave it all up to the travel coach), but be aware that you're going to need the coach's backup confirmation eventually.

Having said that, our travel coach was good with communication with colleges, but not good with communication to player families - or maybe he assumed we knew how it all worked, which we did not (and had not found hsbbw yet).  So we didn't know what questions we should be asking him.

Eokerholm posted:
Bookworm Ball Players (GPA above 3.5) and other sites that will retweet on your behalf and really up the impressions.

Wow, never heard of that before!  This whole thing is kind of out of hand, I'm glad we didn't know about that 18 months ago.