Skip to main content

Reply to "summer assignments"

trojanx2 ...

After reading and re-reading your post, I keep wanting to ask the question: Was the Baylor coach speaking in terms of somewhere for your son to play between his senior high school season and his starting college at Baylor OR where he might be placed after his college freshman season?

The reason I ask this is because some of the summer college leagues ... specifically the ones "sanctioned" or "certified" by the NCAA ... require that the player has to have NCAA eligibility. Since, as I understand it, eligibility is not a consideration until AFTER the player has started college, he would not be able to play in one of those 8 or 9 sanctioned leagues (e.g., the Cape Cod League, the Northwoods League, etc.) before his first college season. Other leagues, which are not "sactioned" or "certified" by the NCAA ... such as the Alaskan League ... do not have that restriction and some allow non-college players to participate. [I know firsthand that the Alaskan league had a So Cal player from Rancho Bernardo (in San Diego County) two summers before he started college.]

So, if the coach is speaking of your son's summer AFTER his 2005 freshman year, he (the coach) probably already has a good idea of where he would like to see your son play and will make the necessary arrangements/contacts late summer/early fall of 2004. If, however, he is talking about the summer of 2004, he may likely start working on that now to get something going.

My advice: If the coach is talking with your son about it now, before he has even signed his NLI, relax. He obviously has things well in control and will take care of your son when the time is right.

Congrats to your son on his commitment. Enjoy the ride.

Just wanted to mention, as an afterthought, that you needn't worry about the leagues that are not "sanctioned" by the NCAA. There is no impact on college eligibility, etc., if a player participates in a "non-sanctioned" league. The "sanctioning" just identifies some qualifications regarding player eligibility, coaching, number of players from any school on a team, etc. that the leagues agree to abide by in their operations.

H-mom
We learn a lot from crayons:
some are sharp; some are dull; some are pretty;
some have weird names; all are different colors.
And they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Last edited {1}