Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer ball..."

Just another tidbit that I figured some here would enjoy.

I was in the dugout about 15 minutes before game time at this past night's game when I hear my name being called by one of my teammates from the other end of the dugout. I walked over and was introduced to a young boy named Josh, who I was told was celebrating his 8th birthday at the park with his family and friends. He came over to inform me that I was his favorite player on the Marlins, because I had the same name as him and because when I went to his school (we went to local elementary schools the other day and spoke to the kids) I answered one of his questions with a funny joke. I was then informed that he was due to throw out the ceremonial first pitch of the night's ballgame, and he requested to the General Manager that I catch the pitch. So when his name came over the PA I jogged out there with him and squatted behind home plate.

Suddenly I had a nervous rush come over me. I was catching this kid in front of thousands of people. It would be so embarassing if I dropped the ball! (I was never this nervous on the mound, but the thought of an 8 year old kid throwing a ball to me 30 feet away and me having to make it look good for him and catch it in front of the cheering crowd was intimidating). Luckily, the kid (who ironically throws lefty just like I do) pumped a strike right to me and I caught it. I handed the ball back to him and signed it personally to him wishing him a happy birthday and sent him back off into the stands with his parents.

I try to shy away from the "sappy" stories and whatnot on this site because I like it to be informational. But this sort of experience will stay with me for a while because I know that kid will probably never forget it. He might forget my name, and he will probably misplace that baseball someday in the future, but he'll never forget the thrill he had throwing a pitch on the field to his favorite player. It really is an amazing feeling to be able to experience that.
Last edited by J H