Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer ball..."

Checking in once more...

The first half of the Coastal Plain League season ended on Monday, with my team, the Morehead City Marlins, finishing in 2nd place in the South Division behind the Florence RedWolves. For those who aren't familiar with the process...The CPL plays a 56 game schedule throughout the entire summer and is split into two 28 game halves. The winner of the first half gets an automatic berth into the Pettit Cup, which is the playoffs. So while we fell short in the first half, the records carry over and hopefully we can keep up and stay sharp enough to make a run for the second half title.

Our overall record finished up at 15 and 13 for the first half. The last time I posted was after our military night debacle in Columbia, which was a few weeks ago. Since then, we have gotten into a bit of a set routine. We have had 2 "Military Monday" nights in which we honor veterans and wear camouflage jerseys (Coach May- one of my teammates played for the Dirtbags and got so excited when we were told we were wearing camo's) on those nights. We also have had one night for Breast Cancer Awareness in which we wore pink jerseys that were auctioned off after the game, with all proceeds going to charity.

I would say the average attendance at our games is somewhere in between 1000 and 2000 (sometimes a lot more, sometimes a bit less) and from my perspective the games are extremely competitive. A teammate who goes to East Carolina (a perennial regional contender) says that our team matches up very well to their level of play (Conference USA), so for those who don't have a gauge of the quality of play if that helps at all there you go.

The difference between the play in the CPL and the play I have grown accustomed to at the DIII level (regionals included) are unparalleled. The players are bigger, faster, stronger. The game is played at a much quicker pace. As a pitcher, the things I've noticed is that the hitters do a much better job driving the ball to the opposite field here with authority. Anyone can hit a get-me-over fastball, but the separation is extended here in the other offerings that the hitters hit. At the same time if a hitter has a discernable weakness, it is exploited here very quickly and more extensively than at the DIII level. There are a handful of players that I've faced/played with in college that could more than easily compete here, but there are also many that can't.

The only negative I have found about the CPL is the traveling. If you or your son cannot handle spending hours everyday on a cramped bus, then do not play in this league. Road trips range from 2 to 7 hours, and there are several a week. We've left at 9 am and returned at 5 am, just to fall asleep and wake up then next day to catch a bus at 12 and travel another 4 1/2 hours. The travel does wear on you, and days off are hard to come by and gratefully taken (we spend our days off at the beach, good thing Morehead City is on the ocean). While I honestly despise the travel and dread every bus trip we take, I have learned to appreciate the trips. We are well aware of the fact that minor league life largely consists of bus rides that are further in distance, longer in time and more extensive in frequency, and to be able to experience a similar kind of living style while in college is greatly beneficial for those of us who look to play at the next level. I also appreciate the bus trips because it gives me time to spend with the new friends I've made throughout the summer. Having a group of 27 college baseball players together everyday for an entire summer will create lasting relationships off the field in the future. We pass time playing cards (Pitch, Texas Hold 'Em are popular) and riddle games (Hat Game, Snaps, City Game, Green Glass Doors are a few popular ones for those who are familiar).

The coaching staff thus far has been great. I have worked hard with the pitching coach (former DI pitcher and a member of the 2004 Greek Olympic team) on mechanical aspects of pitching, as well as many conditioning aspects. The head coach, Jay Bergman, has a career coaching record of 1,300 wins at the DI level and is truly one of a kind. In a short amount of time he and I have delevoped a great relationship. While his past has been surrounded with controversy, his passion for the game and caring for his players is unparalleled from what I can tell and is greatly appreciated by his team. Here is a quote from Coach Bergman in the locker room after one loss that we had:

"I've coached this game for 42 years. If I quit tomorrow, the game would move on. Nothing would change in the game. But if I quit tomorrow, I couldn't go on. I'm 71 years old and I need this game now more than ever. I couldn't go on without this game. You need to decide if you need this game. If you do, then you need to play like it. If you don't, then hand in your uniform now and go home, because the game doesn't need you."

Next Monday we have a game against the U.S. Military All-Star Team, also called Heroes of the Diamond, which should be a fabulous experience. Other than that, the second half of the season will be much of the same kind of grind the first half was. Its a grind that goes by way too quickly, and sometimes is taken for granted. I've posted all this info because I know there are a select few people here that would love to know the inside knowledge about a league like this, and I'd be glad to help anyone who has any questions pertaining to anything I know. And if you aren't interested, thanks for letting me post this as a log for myself to look back on and remember some of the things I forget from this summer.
Last edited by J H