Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer Ball, Yes Or No?"

@d-mac posted:

Summer ball is on its last legs and will be dead soon.  Even the Cape is a shell of what it once was.  Summer ball is for guys who didn't get any reps, are coming off injury or guys who just love the game and want to play as much as possible before the clock runs out.  The top pro prospects and starters from the top teams are not playing, or they are playing a very abbreviated schedule. The good pitchers are staying home and If you aren't facing quality pitching, what is the point?  Turn on a Northwoods game and watch how many sub 90 arms are throwing.  Odds are you will see a few sub 85 arms as well.  As word spreads on how bad the leagues were this year, I am not sure how many of these leagues will survive.         

I have no idea if they'll disappear, but definitely saw lots of posts about the Cape and coaches (see if you can find the interview with the Chatham Anglers coach on twitter) talking about kids coming up for just a few games here and there just to showcase. Beyond the normal temp contract situations. My son's college teammate (grad student) trained after the season was over and then in beginning of July made about 3 appearances in the Cape and went into the transfer portal at the deadline.

I can't see leagues like the Hampton's league surviving. $800 to play ~30 games. Other son was out west and his entire coaching staff quit while they were in Canada leaving an intern to manage.

Not great experiences in either the WCL or Hamptons league. Don't want to air out anything else specifically, but if someone has questions feel free to DM.